View Single Post
      03-02-2024, 11:56 PM   #75
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Not defending New Jersey’s law in any way. Fortunately when I was stationed in New Jersey I could save money and fill up at self service pumps on post. But, I’m guessing you weren’t around during the many decades of full service gas stations where someone pumped your gas and checked your oil and fluids at every stop for fuel that were the norm before increasing gas prices brought about the self service option. Of course, it goes without saying no one was leaving their motor running during a gas stop back then.
I hear you. But think about our BMWs.

Do you think ANY attendant at a NJ gas station is capable of checking the oil level? Do they even know the procedure?

Do you trust said attendants to not spill fuel on your car or to not leave the gas cap dangling against the paint?

Do you trust them to check and put ANY fluid in the engine bay of your car? Do you know how many cars have been damaged by clueless attendants opening a pressurized cooling system to "top off"?

Cars are just too complex. These attendants are barely functional human beings. Why else would you get that job?!

You should not let them touch your car. When I refuel in NJ, I get out of my car, I insert my cc on the pump, and often I insert the nozzle before I see the attendant scramble to get there I act like I don't know if is full serve.

Nothing needs to be checked on a modern BMW on a fueling stop. tire pressures, oil level, etc are all there available electronically to you.

Having human beings performing these menial tasks is degrading and a waste of human resources.