View Single Post
      03-27-2024, 11:08 AM   #9
crabman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I've actually pursed a MM action all the way to a courtroom. The various things you learn there are really for a different thread, but it's enough here to note that they can't just void your warranty in total unless your car meets very specific criteria that is spelled out in law.

Odo tampering, salvage title, modified so significantly as to change it from it's original intended purpose to a different purpose, a couple more. There aren't many of them, and most cars do not see a warranty voided in total.

What you do see is a denial of coverage on a case by case basis, or if you have a power adder(s) in the mix, a voiding of your powertrain warranty.

So on one side it's not as bad as some make out, but the other is darker. All that crap about they have to prove a part caused a failure or they can't deny a coverage is just that, crap.

When the dealer denies you warranty coverage it will usually come after a flagged part or repair is inspected by a rep and that guy/gal doesn't sell cars, they guard the gates. Once they deny you have to hope your dealer is willing to come out of pocket for the labor and parts and most of us won't be that good a customer. Or you can stay broke down. Or come out of pocket until the end of a long process many will wish they never started. But what's for certain is spouting Moss/Mag, jumping up and down, yelling, does nothing.

Thats the dark side of the equation but it's not so scary when you put it in context. No one is going to argue over fixing a hinky power mirror, for example. In nearly all cases a simple change like disabling start stop or making it remember last isn't going to come up at all.

So that's the short version; I'm not brave, and I'm not advocating anyone do anything of the sort. Having been there, it's not so bad if you're in the right and willing to accept that some hassle may stand between you and your warranty coverage in some instances.
Appreciate 0