04-01-2024, 12:34 AM   #12
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15_SGM View Post
My friend is a bmw master tech at bmw dealer so he does it for me. I just watch him do it but it's pretty simple. First have to get a hoist to secure the transfer case and remove the transfer case bracket then you just siphon the old fluid with a thin hose and refill with new fluid until it starts to flow out. I don't see how it can be contaminated. Keeps the transfer case fresh and only takes about 30 min extra doing the engine oil change. Only cost associated is the dealer mark up on the dtf1 fluid. Really the procedure is the exact same for the previous gen aswell no difference. You can technically remove the fill plug without dropping the bracket but it's just easier that way if you have the equipment and skills. I do understand why some may think 5K is way to often but it doesn't hurt doing so in my opinion. What I do know is that the factory fluid was defective and I do believe the transfer case unit is just as trash in this car and prone to failure. Previously it was only the 50i guys with failures but as time goes on I have seen countless 40i X7 and X5 guys with transfer case failures. My unit was swapped at dealership at around 25K odo and I don't trust the new unit aswell. I think the solution will be a class action that may take many years before owners start to take action like every other class action bmw occurred. Just takes many years before something is done about it.
Wait, you change transfer case fluid every 5k and still need replacement at 25k?? Does it really prove changing too often isn’t great??
LuckyBrand1451.50
X3_Alaska161.50
volodp199.50
davchr98.50