View Single Post
      09-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacE82 View Post
You've never seen the ball glance a player and them step back in the box pretending like it didnt hit them? Ive seen it happen numerous times and im sure im not the only one who's seen that.
Did the umpire call a HBP? You also had players argue that it hit them. Did any player go to the umpire and say, " It didn't hit." after he called a HBP?

Quote:
I just think that situations like this arent human error. Jeter pretended he got hit by the ball. The ump called it a hit by pitch because of the way jeter acted. Thats not human error, thats jeter influencing the call. If jeter would have acted like it hit the bat, we wouldnt be having this conversation. If you look at the Posada play, he didnt act like it hit him until a second after the play and he spun around.
The umpire called a HBP as soon as Jeter ran out of the batters box after he twisted around. There was no acting needed besides going with it after the umpire called it. Did you expect Jeter would say it didn't hit him when they needed a baserunner? ESPN, Maddon, etc didn't have a problem with it what Jeter did. They all called it gamesmenship. Like I stated earlier, Maddon stated he would be happy if one of his players would do the same.

Now I watched Posada's fake, and that I agree was shady. Posada deceived the umpire into calling a HBP. Jeter's situation was different. The HBP call was immediate for Jeter.

Quote:
Just because human error "is part of the game" doesnt mean it has to be part of the game...its part of the game because when baseball was first played we didnt have the benefit of replay. I mean how many replays did they show of the play before the next pitch was thrown. like what BTM said, a guy upstairs relays the call down to the ump. It wont slow down baseball more than it already is...I love baseball, but I think it can benefit from replay.
Like I stated, there are certain situations I will be ok with using replay to reverse a call. HR, call at the plate, or a situation like Armando Galarraga's imperfect game where a blown call would effect history. But, in no other situation I would approve the use of replay. Balls/ strikes, fair/foul( besides on HR's), safe/out( except at homeplate or a potential perfect game or no hitter in the 9th) are situations where I like the human element to remain without interference from replay. If it was a blown call, it sucks, but we all live with it. Good teams will overcome that blown call.

Last edited by quagmire; 09-22-2010 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0