View Single Post
      10-28-2020, 02:11 AM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

All newer BMW models utilize condition based servicing logic. If you go to the vehicle status menu, it will tell you when certain things need to be done, including oil changes. Oil changes are based on two factors: time since last one (BMW will change it at 12-months, regardless of miles as part of the service plan), or when it calculates it is needed. That calculation depends on the duration of trips, how much stop and go miles are on it, and how many highway miles are on it. Unless you are driving in an area that gets dust storms, it should be safe to just go with the computer's recommendations and those could vary easily by over 10K miles between the min/max value.

The 2500-miles is from 'now' when the service is needed. FWIW, it could say that same value for many thousands of miles if you were to take a marathon, long-distance drive. I've had mine at a static level for over 4K miles when I did a cross-country drive which was much different than my more typical routine.

Your engine uses a pretty large amount of oil, nearly twice the volume of some other brands, so it doesn't get worked as hard and there's more additives in the mix to help it last longer (along with it being pure synthetic which doesn't degrade as fast as the 'real' stuff.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50