View Single Post
      11-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #20
quattrodubber
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M140i, 2021 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0540i View Post
I didn't mind the 30D, it had heaps of power, low down torque, and was very fuel efficient, but the 40i motor is absolutely magic - as smooth as butter when pushed gently, but an absolute "animal" when pushed hard - especially in Sports Plus mode. I haven't pushed her that hard yet because I'm still in the run-in period, but I have revved it to 4500-5000 and love that sound !

Two important things I think are worth mentioning:
1 - I've been driving it for almost a week now, and I am fully convinced the 22" 742 wheels provide a softer ride than the 20" 740M wheels I had on my 2019 30D. The 22" tyres are Contis non run-flats, while my old 20" were Bridgestone Alenza run-flats. Seriously the difference is day & night. They are definitely a little noisier on the highway (but in a very subtle way), while at normal street speeds the noise is negligible - the same as the 20".
I was initially VERY worried about going to 22" wheels after hearing from some drive journos whining about how hard the 22" makes the ride - but no such experience for me...
Anyone considering the 22", my advice GO FOR IT ! ..you wont be disappointed.
Great choice . I upgraded my wife's '15 x3 30d (same motor) to a '21 40i (now mine) and wouldn't have it any other way. I have the same B58 motor in my M140 and its just such a great motor all round, although it is disappointing they've detuned it for the x5 in comparison.

I didn't compare the tires back to back like you've been able to do but I did look at the cost difference between the 20" RF and the 22" non=RF and it worked out about $200 difference for a full set. And given the 22's came in the equipment pack I wanted (for the exhaust) it was a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0