Thread: GLE vs X5
View Single Post
      06-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
Protocol_10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX M60

You really need to drive both.

I sell BMW's for a living, and I still did some heavy cross-shopping mainly between the X5 and GLE. I also considered the Audi Q8 and the Porsche Cayenne, but the Q8 has no physical buttons & is all piano black (which drives me insane), and the Porsche costs a literal fortune while offering mediocre tech & stiff ride.

After weeks of deliberating, the X5 won me over. Here was my reasoning:

X5

-More fun to drive, handles better. The GLE almost felt sluggish, and it FEELS like a large chunky SUV.

-More user-friendly infotainment. The GLE interior looks slightly more modern with the single-pane glass design, but the glare is awful & it doesn't make good use of CarPlay (which is almost a dealbreaker for me). BMW's integration of CarPlay and Android Auto are not only superb, but also WIRELESS.

-The X5 has a more "aggressive, badass" look to it, especially with the M sport package. It has bolder exterior bodylines, which don't really exist on the GLE. The GLE is more rounded, and almost "fat" looking. Someone told me that the GLE's back end looks like it's wearing a diaper, and I can't unsee it. The GLE also looks more like a typical family SUV, unless you opt for the AMG exterior package/AMG engine upgrade.

-Feature for feature, the X5 gives you more for the money.

-The X5 M50i... 523 HP, Twin Turbo V8, just over 80k to start. If you want the V8 in a GLE, prepare to pay 113k to start.

Overall, the MB offers more interior space, a more "luxurious" look, slightly more comfortable ride (although the X5 is plenty comfortable), and arguably better ambient lighting. The BMW is more fun to drive, is more cost effective, arguably better looking, and more tech friendly. I just didn't feel "excited" to get into the GLE. I literally count the seconds until I can get back into my X5.

This is my personal opinion only, and should be treated as such. Drive them both for yourself!
Appreciate 3