Thread: GLE vs X5
View Single Post
      06-02-2021, 10:30 PM   #7
DennisNYC
Rep
Drives: n/a

Just last Thursday I was test-driving X5 40i vs GLE 350 vs Cayene base. (In fact, I wanted GLE 450, but they just did not have it available.)

So. Decided on X5 (why not Caynne - totally different and long topic) for the 3 following reasons:
-- Their current control panels, a-la two iPads on a tractor, is a hard "no". Does not feel like a car.
-- Gear selector on a wheel is the second "no". I guess I'm old school, so I need it under my right arm.
-- Very minor, but still. MB's auto start/stop is too "loud", "contrasting", compared to other cars. Did not find it comfortable.

Otherwise, in my particular case, with my habits, etc. MB won(!) in terms of driving feel. Very very smooth and I was able to drive it very accurately. I saw multiple forum threads and magazine reviews mentioning that Mercedes is "floating", "like a boat", "makes me nauseous", etc., while X5 and especially Cayenne have "great handling", etc... You know what? Totally not my experience! (I should mention, I was looking for a family car. If I wanted to race, I would be looking for something more appropriate.) So I was test-driving it in NYC for about 40 minutes, quick ride from 51st to 96 on Hudson Hwy, and then 20+min going down from 96th St to 52th. Traffic... lots of intersections, start-stops, pedestrians jumping out of nowhere, bicyclists and trucks trying to cut me... all that, however, I felt great! I actually _liked_ the ride. And the car itself was quite roomy, high-quality interior elements, buttons, etc. I liked the rear view mirror a lot, etc. etc.

So, it was interior that ruined everything for me, otherwise I'd take it over X5 and base Cayenne.
Appreciate 0