12-12-2023, 03:16 PM   #97
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matowi View Post
As a prospective M60i owner (it’s on order), I’d actually welcome a proper breakdown of the differences between M60 and proper X5M

Seems to me, the public here is split. Even when you scroll up a bit, you will note two quite volcal members of this community beginning their replies to a post trying to capture these differences as in: “you are totally wrong”, while the other remarks “this is 100% right”. Confusion ensues

I failed to find a reliable write up of differences in:

- engine tuning
- gearbox model / tuning
- suspensions components and tuning (I’d put my money on there being changes both in hardware and software)
- body and underbody bracing
- swaybars
- exhaust
- sound deadening
- brakes
- tires / rims

That’s the short list of stuff that pops to my mind when thinking of where the “M” bits may be different from the regular M60i. I doubt this is a comprehensive set and I’m curious to learn what I omitted (for sure some beauty bits in- and outside)

Happy to hear your thoughts (maybe a separate thread?)
X5MC has 21/22" wheels, with 295 fronts and 315 rears. The M performance models with the 22" wheels are 275 fronts. This to me says they were trying to reduce understeer some, not that I've noted a lot of understeer.

Gearboxes will be ZF 8 speeds regardless. They might be using a higher torque rated version, but for the most power differences, I doubt it.

X5M doesn't offer 4 wheel steering, but does come with actove roll bars. Functionally, there would be no reason to have that part be different, you would just adjust the tuning of it to create desired differences.

X5M brakes to appear.to be larger, with different calipers. Searching shows a thread where a guy swapped.them.over for $1600. He notes that the rear X5M brakes are a few mm larger rotors, but the same single piston sliding design,.so he opted not to upgrade those.

The X5M and Competition are certainly amazing vehicles... But so is the M Performance version, and it's clearly boosted and cannibalized sales enough to justify killing the regular M version.
Appreciate 0