natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
Agreed, backup assistant works very well for me as well! The only way I see such accident happen is pole just suddenly erected on my backup route minutes after I drove in. It needs to be checked with the dealership for sure. On the topic of acceleration - it does accelerate real fast and you need to keep your foot on break. I think they did not design it well - car should be remembering the backup route but YOU should own gas and break pedals, it should not drive on its own until all these electronics are solid in their operations!
Thanks for the validation!
I agree. Part of the problem was that I was distracted by the tech, it happened so fast. I did have my foot on the break. Thank god, or I would have going faster for sure. It is a bad design, that it accelerates so fast. I just didn’t expect it to NOT follow my incoming route.

Lots of good comments here and on a related thread that Turtleboy started. Very mixed experiences. I’m not sure I will dig for some nebulous setting. I just know not to trust that feature again unless I’m backing into a lot of open space, and keeping it very slow.

I think I’ll have my hands full with the iDrive updates. Fingers crossed I don’t have any issues, but I expect to need to check out and change some settings. Who knows?

I really am over the Bimmer Mystery Tech. It was fun while it lasted but in a year or two I’ll trade it out for a vehicle with bumpers and I’ll know what to look for - such as rear collision avoidance at slow speeds.

I mean, normally you do NOT drive fast when backing up. Having a speed-related governor on that feature, going forward OR back, is useless.

Either it emergency brakes or it doesn’t. Just let me know so I can plan accordingly.
Appreciate 0