01-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #51
PittsburghG
PittsburghG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
'Best' is very conditional based. Deep snow and ice, or cold and slush, or just cold all would suggest a different class of winter tire. They are not all equal or up to the diverse task. In the USA, a tire rated for autobahn speeds isn't really needed, either, and that can dictate other things. Most any of the classes are good for up to about 100mph, though, which, in the USA should be fine. To protect rims and the tire's sidewalls, a taller sidewall is recommended by all tire manufacturers for winter use, so, generally, 22" rims wouldn't be recommended as the first choice even though you may prefer the look. Depends on how much you rate safety over looks.
I should have been more specific when I said "best". For reliable traction and protection of the rims it's always suggested to get smaller rims so I was looking at the 19" and 20" rims. I've read on a few threads that people have had issues with the brake calipers when they used the 19" rims so I was seeing if anyone had personal feedback on their rim/tire combo. I had both a 2013 and a 2015 X5 35D with the 20" rims on both, which back then as the upgrade. It it was a big deal back then that they were so "big" with the dealership recommending 18" rims at that time. That's why this is pretty confusing, and I want to make sure I get something that's reliable to drive with confidence even though it obviously doesn't look as good as the 22" rims. For the tires the options Tire Rack has are the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 or Latitude Alpin LA2, Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 RFT, and the Pirelli Scorpion Winter or the Scorpion Ice & Snow. None of these have been rated by Tire Rack so they only have reviews for different vehicles so I was hoping someone has had one of these on their X5 to share your thoughts.
Appreciate 0