gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Not a problem! Like I said I appreciate the heads up but seeing how people here sometimes get carried away I wanted to squash it quickly

It's funny because one such module is under the car so I'm wondering what else isn't sealed properly now.

I'm fine leaving them, I think the question needed to be asked and answered so thank you!

I really appreciate you sharing here, it has me wondering if these latest generation luxury SUVs ( all brands ) are just too fragile electronically to be used as SUVs the way I use mine and how I must be able to rely on them. I'm even contemplating putting the money in a no interest bank account aka 4Runner TRDPro if our current 2013 Cayenne is starting to have issues instead of upgrading to one of these rolling computers of the latest generation until reliability has caught up with the new tech.
Rolling computers are pervasive in today's automobiles. IMO, the X5 has suffered more than most due to BMW mandating the G05 as a 2019 model year vehicle so as to (in part) support the chassis needs of the X7. That shaved ONE YEAR off the development cycle of the G05. If BMW initially felt the G05 could be built for 2019, then their original schedule would have reflected that, but it did not. This was to have been a 2020 model year change to the F15. The final year of vehicle development, in part, is validation of the numerous systems and how they interoperate (integration testing). Finding and fixing as many as possible of those corner-case issues between vehicle systems, scaling-out back-end infrastructure for connected services, etc.

This is not a technology deficit, since auto manufacturers reportedly have similar technologies in their vehicles with fewer (some would say no) issues than our G05s. In a few months, most of these issues will be behind us as BMW truly completes their G05 validation (which no doubt will take longer than if they'd waited to introduce the G05 as a 2020 model), and we can focus our energies on more important issues.

That's my perspective, but of course your mileage may vary.