02-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #31
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I wish OEMs would start implementing tech to assist parents. Even a lowly Toyota Corolla will do well over 100MPH. At those speeds I dont care what safety features you have, you're toast if the shit hits the fan and you're an inexperienced driver.

OEMs should allow for "new driver" mode where with a special key (like a valet key) or an app you limit HP, torque, acceleration, wheel spin, and top speed. Give parents a smartphone app that alerts them if their child driver goes outside bounds that are drawn on a map or drives the car between midnight and 6:00 AM. Stuff like that. Certainly seems well within reach to be able to tailor the performance of the car to the driver so they can have all the modern safety features of a 2020 model car with all the performance of a 1970s shitbox.
So wait... Are you saying this wouldn't work?

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Tesla do something like this in the future. Seems like they'd be able to limit power potential on the fly or at the flip of a switch or an app which I'm guessing is easier for electric vehicles than it is for ICE vehicles.
DETRoadster11456.00
MKSixer34173.50
King Rudi13154.00