View Single Post
      02-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #39
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
My youngest is driving a shitbox Pontiac Vibe. He's never been interested in going fast. The car for him gets him where he'd like to go, which is often the Train to the City to see friends. There are so many things out there that can kill you. Kids need to be made aware of the dangers. It makes me laugh when folks think that buying their kid a new BMW to keep them safe is a good thing....not even close. That's a show, and lazy. Take your kids out and teach them to drive defensively. Offset lane positions, safe following distances, slowing down in bad weather, shoulder checking, mirrors etc. Don't drink and drive and if you don't think your kid is responsible don't buy them a car that is really fast with a great crash rating and pat yourself on the back.

I was a cop for over 30 years....the majority of the crashes I saw in the wee hours that involved young drivers and catastrophic injuries were privileged kids driving new cars and often BMW's or something similar.....almost never saw those accidents in old shit boxes.

You're forgetting about the other guy in the other car that you have no control over. I certainly will make it point that my kids will have the safest car we can afford. I'm not going to put them in a shit-box just because.

As a former cop, you should know all too well that even the most piece of shit car is capable of "high speed" (i.e. 90mph+), even that truck you're talking about.