View Single Post
      02-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #42
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
Agreed on all points here, but I'm also wondering if the issue is that the tech is still not "cost effective" to trickle into the lower models. Quotes around that because I'm sure it's less an issue of being cost prohibitive and moreso effecting their profit margin.

Btw, somewhat off topic but how do you like your s1k? Any weird annoyances or oddities to note? Is the Seating position demanding at all after extended periods of time?
I've been on the fence between a few bikes, this was one of them

I'm like 40%/40%/20% for commute/canyon/track
I'm not familiar with all of the various models of BMW motorcycles. But just picking at random, I found the F900R which has a base price of just under $9000. It has Rain and Road modes. So the tech has trickled down to the more mainstream/budget bikes. As I've been saying it seems there has been a lot of innovation with 2 wheeled vehicles over what is being offered with 4 wheels. Even the act of shifting gears with bikes and cars are worlds apart. First was the invention of the slipper clutch (or back torque limiter). This pretty much eliminated the need to do throttle blips to rev match the engine and the rear wheel speed. This is equivalent of eliminating the need to do heal toe shifting. That technology was available in my 2004 ZX-10R. Then over the past few years saw the advent of clutchless upshifts and then the advent of clutchless downshifts. Outside of having to use the clutch when at a stop or coming to a stop, you can operate a sport bike like an automatic while still having all the advantages of a fully manual setup. If you choose to use the clutch for shifting, you can but I don't know why one would.

I don't own a S1000RR. But have had plenty of seat time at the track with them. I go to VIR when California Superbike School has their camps there. I've done 4 day camps with is a ton of laps. It's what you would expect from any superbike. The seating position is going to be aggressive. I'm tall at 6'5" and in general I struggle with keeping weight off of my wrists/hands as my upper body pretty much hangs over the handle bars all the time. I also do get numbness in my right hand due to the engine vibration being transmitted into that handle bar on top of the weighted hands issue. I don't know about using an RR as a commuter. I'd think it would be absolutely miserable. I have done commutes in both my ZX-10R and 848 through stop and go traffic around the DC Metro area. It's just terrible especially during the summer. Between the fatigue from the forced body position to the bikes getting close to overheating, I can assume the RR would be the same. As a weekend canyon carver or track bike, sure. I'm thinking about replacing the 848 with an RR. I just love the entire package of the RR. I spun up the rear tire of the RR coming out of the roller coaster after turn 17 and wasn't freaked out.
Appreciate 0