View Single Post
      02-25-2021, 11:26 PM   #84
Flyaway718
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I got my 2020 X7 40i back from the dealer today. I tested the ASS functionality when I got home. The shutting down of the engine when the door is open is definitely related to ASS. Regardless of whether or not you have an ASS button on your vehicle.

I put the car in Comfort Driving mode and enabled ASS. When I stopped the car the engine shut off.

Next, I placed the car in park and opened the door. I closed the door and tried to put the car in gear again. It would not go into gear because the engine was turned off. I had to put my foot on the brake and push the start/stop button to restart the engine.

When ASS is disabled the engine remains running when stopped and when the door is opened.

This is a functional design issue related to the Automatic Start/Stop of these vehicles. The only way I know of to defeat this behavior is to disable ASS, code your vehicle to disable ASS or code it to start in Sport driving mode, or make sure your car is in the "Sport" driving mode for those that don't have an ASS button.
Yes, agreed that it related to ASS design issue. Add on the message of "turn off engine when door is opened" misleading even more.

I learn the workaround for ASS without coding. To turn ASS off completely, drive in Sport individual and set all settings there to be comfort - one extra button to press.

If you want to drive in comfort mode and leave the engine running when get out of the car, switch to Sport before you open the door.

Not perfect, but not the end of the world.
Appreciate 0