acbrunton
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020 G05

Garage List
2016 BMW X6  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Thumbs up

The lift gate clunk/ creak problem is fixed!!!
Problem:
Clunk/rattle/groan/creak from the rear cargo area. Sounds like a door isn't fully closed , clunk, bang, groan.
I took 3 the following actions,
1) Wrapped the lower tailgate latch loops in black electrical tape. Be careful here. If the tape application is too thick the tail gate won't close and latch, you'll know. I wrapped the upper portion of the loop, (with tailgate down), and the side.
2) I applied the tape wrap to the lift gate latch, again, not too much. (see video).
3) I pulled the trim around the lift gate latch and bumpers, no tools needed, just be careful, be patient.
4) Use a small plumbers wrench, or other adjustable grip wrench to turn the bumpers out, counter-clockwise. Once loose, fingers work.
5) Repeatedly opened and closed the lift gate. The open action sounds harsh, so I started to back off the bumpers, (turn in clockwise). I continued to test, open/close, and test for the noise. (I did this by pushing down on the lift gate just below the back window. I initially notice a creak, groan, knock when I did this with the vehicle in problematic state.
5) Once I completed all this, both tailgate an lift gate open and close normally.
6) Pushing down on the lift gate generates no noise.
7) Test drive on same roads, no sound system, focusing on the noise.
8) Noise gone!!!!

Thank you everyone on this forum for posting your issues and remedies. This one worked great!!