View Single Post
      08-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #96
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I'd say he was screwed either way. Maybe it was dangerous to stay put and wait till the track "clears". But instinct for racing drivers was to recover asap and get back on the race.

by doing that however, di Resta was coming towards the chicane and had to avoid him by going off the track.

Let me provide an example, Australian GP 2010, First Lap Turn 1, Fernando Alonso was pitted and facing the wrong way. He had to wait till the whole field passed then he can execute the recovery.

Mark Webber, Canada 2011, he recovered almost immediately after spun out between turn 1 and 2. But that was because he was on the pit exit area where no other cars around. Then he was able to join the traffic flow and continue racing.

My point was, drivers can only make recover when there are no other cars coming near you. Hamilton might be able to avoid the penalty if he waited till di Resta passed. Given he claimed he wasn't able to see di Resta coming and executed the recover. Well, Paul had to avoid and went off.
I agree with most of this. The fact that Di Resta went off track seals it. I mostly just think there really wasn't any of better option for Hamilton at that point. No other alternative would have resulted in any better of an outcome.

Also, Button was right behind Di Resta coming out of the chicane. If Hamilton had waited on di Resta, being a backmarker at the time, he would have also had to wait on Button entirely.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 08-01-2011 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0