11-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I probably didn't say enough about the files from the 5D4. The resolution is stunning. The 1DX is champ if your ISO routinely goes above 6400, but, up to that point, the resolution of the 5D4 takes the day. Also, the quality of the noise with the 5D4 is relatively benign.

The reason to get the 1DX is if you're shooting sports in low light and routinely need more than ISO 6400 and you need the higher fps. I really like 10-fps and higher, but I'm willing to settle for the 5D4's 7-fps, even for birds in flight.

Also, I did more shooting with the EF 2.0x TC-III last night. I had feeding gulls so close that I had trouble keeping them in the frame at 1000mm. This was in good light and the AF locked on quickly and tracked well. Still, for fast moving targets, you can expect around 30% to 40% OOF. I think that with the 1DX, that'll drop to 10% to 20%. Realize that's an extreme stress case, with a super-telephoto and a TC on a 1000mm. ONLY the 5D4 and the !D-series will pass this test.

Let us know what you do.

I shoot youth sports (my kids mostly, so nothing mission critical), and the times that we are in the gym, I am just disappointed with how the sony high ISO performs. Compared to canon, the lack of fast FE lens choices resulted in the purchase of metabones adapters to use my faster L lenses. But people may not know that with adapters, you lose some of the tracking AF features of the Sony body only available to Sony native lenses.

I am leaning towards the 1DX because, even though the indoor gym events are less frequent, I just hate dealing with the post-processing and too many OOF shots. However, I use to shoot with a 1Ds3 many years ago, but sold it due to lack of use because of its heft.

Maybe I should just flip a coin....

Thanks again dcstep
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0