View Single Post
      08-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #86
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
A home is an anchor, even when paid for in cash.

Primary dwelling residential real estate is an illiquid asset with few exceptions. It also requires cash inflow in the form of property taxes and some level of maintenance.

I don’t see the compelling financial argument to invest in a primary dwelling except when children are full time living in the home.
No arguing with you there. I have a bit of a softer tone where I feel having some real estate is prudent in your overall financial portfolio. But I've operated with a different mindset than most. As you point out real estate is not very liquid. And it always takes a significant amount of money to get money out of real estate; agent commissions and interest/closing costs. This is why I have the a 30 year mortgage on both of my homes at a low interest rate with no intention of paying off either early. Instead, I'm diverting any money I would have sunk into paying off the home early into the stock market.
Appreciate 0