View Single Post
      11-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #43
El Campeador
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0

First post - just my opinion, hope it helps someone's decision-making.

I did a lot of research for a winter tire/wheel package for my 2014 X5 5.0 which I bought with really crappy Antares all-seasons a couple years ago.

This summer, I had a flat, and took advantage of my last crack at the tire/wheel package before it expired to get 4 new Pirelli P-Zero run-flats at the dealership for a bargain $1100 installed. Staggered 275/40 & 315/35 R20s. They drive really nice.

This did come with an additional price - knowing that I needed a dedicated winter package.

1. I went first to the dealer and asked for a winter package recommendation. He recommended 19" straight, and confirmed they'd fit because I did not have the M-Sport brake package, but quoted me over $3300 for the wheel/tire package, the cheeky bastard.

2. I spent two weeks building packages on TireRack, surfing the web, and asking people. Decided that 19" was better than 20" because winter, potholes, and price.

3. The next decision was staggered v flat, and I went with the straight 19" because price, availability, and rotation. It didn't make sense to overspend on a custom setup for 3 months out of the year. Having to support 2 sizes for winter in case of flats and tread-wear seemed sub-optimal. And all the Massholes around me swore by smaller tires for winter. "You don't want to push snow around, you want to drive through it".

4. I ended up settling on the Pirelli Scorpion Winter Run-Flats, 255/50R-19 from TireRack at $250 each, with (admittedly) not the prettiest of $220 rims, but the total price tag of $2000 means I can invest somewhere other than a 3-month snowy slushy season. They're available if I need replacements, they're run-flats so they'll get me home in a pinch, and I can rotate them year-on-year.

Just my two cents. Excited to be on this forum.

Now does anyone have a recommendation on a car jack
Appreciate 3