View Single Post
      03-05-2023, 12:07 PM   #12
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
boy oh boy oh boy... i wish this was the only problem with social media...

social media is essentially mutual masturbation for the online world... that's really the absolute best way to describe it... people will claim i am doing it for myself, i don't care about what others think blah blah.... these are exclusively lies across the board... i think you are absolutely correct... and the "business" aspect of it, just drives it further

if you say something that disagrees with the masses, you get immediate mob mentality, especially if it's negative... the other side is basically everyone 1 upping and egging each other on for something better and better and it never steps... so there is essentially 0 authenticity and then you add in content moderation by any corporations where u can't say anything negative about a product and you are doomed... you are then living in what is a fake world... sadly younger folks do not understand this and do not know the world before social media
I agree 100% that most of what is posted online is "fake" or at least modified or edited to only show the best of someone or something. I agree that it isn't an accurate reflection on how things actually are, and I agree that many people--especially people younger than say 25 who can't remember the world before social media--lose perspective on the fact that what they're seeing isn't completely real.

BUT

Just look at human behavior when there is a news camera or the camera pans the crowd at a sports event. People wave their arms wildly and yell and gesture just to hopefully have the camera shine on them. For what? Because they crave attention. They want to be seen. Social media is just the easiest way to do that these days, because now you don't have to wait for someone else to put a camera on you. You just put the camera on yourself. Social media is just the latest dealer of the attention drug. If we didn't have social media, people would gravitate towards something else for their attention. The point of my thread is that the people that crave attention from others need to prepare themselves for the fact that not all attention is good, and they haven't been victimized if they get negative attention when they put themselves out there in the first place. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10242.50