View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
How do you buy a car in MA without temp tags? Do they give you a plate when you buy the car? That is very silly
It is very silly and it is one of the hardest states in the country to buy used vehicles because of this.

When you buy a car new yes you have a hard plate. They send a "runner" from the dealer with you paperwork to go register it for you and get your plate and they do the inspection so when you pick it up you are all set. There is no temporary tags, you cannot simply bolt on your old plates without going to the DMV with title and rmv1 form, and you cannot drive with no plate. You would be pulled over in minutes with no plate. A dealer or repair plate if you know somebody that owns a car lot would work but those people pay thousands of dollars a year for that plate so you better know them well or they won't loan it out.

When I was buying my last car from PA the sales manager kept saying there must be a way to drive it and we can give you a temp tag blah blah blah. I told him it's illegal. He called the next day and said he spoke with the sales manager in Massachusetts and I was correct. There is no way to do it. He said it's the worst policy he has ever heard of and has dealt with many many other states and has never heard of that before. So I had the car shipped.
Appreciate 0