Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Nancy,
We all know the tech in the G05 is as flakey as home made apple pie crust...one of the reasons I am still sitting on the bench. We also know that for some unknown reason, BMW is lacking in their ability to have replacement parts readily available. Thing is, if you don't need replacement parts, you don't care and if you don't use the flakey tech stuff, you don't care. So we buy the cars thinking that only the other guy will have these issues. However, you knew all this before buying it due to this great forum and owners willingness to share the not-so-great stuff.

Unfortunately, you now need parts so you certainly do and should care and get frustrated, I would too. However, take a step back from it all and remember how much you like your X5. You can sell it and switch to something else but it won't please you as much as your X5 does. It won't drive like it, won't accelerate like it, won't look like it, won't have the wonderful interior the X5 does. You will miss it.

Continue your approach with BMW because you don't get what you don't ask for and keep the pressure on your dealer to get your car fixed but accidents happen and cars get fixed and that's what insurance is for. I have had two windshields replaced which cost more than three years of my car insurance, Im happy that I am finally getting something in return for the years worth of insurance premiums I've paid

You are not the first to have an accident in an X5, you'll come out of this ok and be back behind the wheel with a smile on your face. ..and, this is your opportunity to tell the repair center to put a little metal behind the bumper so you can use your magnetic cat stickers Hang in there.
Agree with all.
This is our first costly accident and luckily no other cars or people were involved. But the reality is that the insurance is basically a prepaid loan. In my experience, they jack up your rates enough to cover their cost over the next few years.

So, insurance isn’t really paying for this - or any other accident. I am, and you are too. Insurance companies are not in the habit of breaking even.

I have a little background with bumpers. When I worked on the national staff at AAA in the 1980s, the government was allowing car makers to go from a 5mph bumper standard, to 2.5 mph.

As a consumer advocate, AAA had a lot to say about it. I was a writer and wrote articles for the national magazine on it. That was a very long time ago, but clearly bumpers no longer need to meet ANY standard. My bumper might as well have been on Pluto for all the good it did me when I hit that pole.

It’s plastic. Probably less protective than a rubbermade fridge storage container. It just crumbled. I feel like telling the shop to not put another one on the car. It is totally useless. And costing me (ie my insurance) thousands.

When I buy a high-end car, I kinda expect it to include a bumper that works.

My husband is giving me the same lecture you did. Don’t do anything rash. He knows I love the car, and I think secretly he kinda likes it too. I agree. I will not get another BMW but that probably won’t happen next week. Or maybe next year.

And the next one is going to have REAL bumpers. That will probably put me in the pickup truck category. But hey, I’m open minded. You can get some very sweet trucks these days.

In the meantime I’m driving a car on pins and needles knowing that if I get even small damage to it, i won’t have it for weeks and it will cost a fortune to repair. Not sure I’m going to love driving it so much, if at all. TBD ....

I still feel confident that it will keep passengers safe, but that is simply my optimistic nature. Is THAT really true? Who knows? I hope I never find out.
Appreciate 0