View Single Post
      08-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I was just in Maine this past weekend. We go up every summer and stay in the Rockport/Camden area for a few days. Some great coastal roads, but they're usually pretty crowded with traffic on weekends in the summer. Don't go near Wiscasset on a weekend in the summer. It will take you 45 minutes to get through the town.

There are really nice winding roads with great views all over the place. We stay at the Strawberry Hill Inn in Rockport. Right on the bluff overlooking Penobscot Bay, and a great view from every room. Make reservations - they fill up. Lots of great dining in the area, too. It's not a cheap area, but very charming. Rockland is just to the south, and it's an up and coming town. Also, don't miss the Owls Head Transportation Museum. It's on Route 73 just south of Rockland. They have a great collection of old cars and planes. Route 73 going west and north out of Rockport is a pretty nice road, and heads toward Augusta. (You may want to consider going to Augusta and coming in to Camden from the northwest to avoid the traffic on Route 1. I forget the the route numbers, but just set the GPS for Camden or Rockport when you're in Augusta and you'll be on some nice roads.)

We had dinner Sunday night at Hartstone Inn in Camden. You need reservations, and the menu is fixed. Look online to see the menu. What a fantastic meal! The best I've had in years.

There are many other good eating places in Camden, too. We usually take a 2 hour schooner cruise on the bay - another Maine experience that you shouldn't miss!

Have fun if you go!
Appreciate 0