United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
FCX5
If you have an exiting x5 w/ Touchscreen, can you elaborate on IF you only use iDrive, what you can or can NOT do with the screen; Carplay, or otherwise?

For many of us, waiting delivery w/ no touch, we are trying to either trying to rationalize keeping delivery OR jumping ship and . . . not getting a new X5 or waiting 6 months to reassess if SC has improved.
Not sure if this helps, but here's my experience with Android Auto.

I'll test later to make sure what conditions have to be true, but there have been times when I tried to enter a destination in Google Maps, and the phone functionality was disabled because the car was running.

Instead, it prompts me to use the keyboard on the touchscreen, which is easy enough. But I can't imagine doing it using the iDrive controller. It's a full qwerty keyboard, and it's probably a pain in the ass. As I mentioned above I hate fingerprints, but this is a case where I'll just use the touchscreen to enter my destination (and wipe down later of course lol)

Like I said, I'll test it out when I get a chance as I can't remember all the details. Also, I have to imagine that if there is no touchscreen, BMW will accommodate and change how certain inputs are entered...I hope?
This one of the QOL and major benefit for touch display on the G05. The most annoying aspect of prior iDrive generations was inputting text. Especially the complex 20 character password I use for ConnectedDrive LOL…….

Previous gen iDrive in the F15 introduced iDrive controller touchpad which still standard on current G05 despite shortage.

You can still enter text by using the iDrive controller touchpad but it's slow f'ing gesturing every letter LOL and deleting if it translates incorrectly but the system does auto suggest but you'll have to knob over to select.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2