GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
I start first by pressure wash the car to remove any debris and the maximum of dirt in order to wash it after with a sponge and car shampoo. This way I avoid to have a dirty bucket and any debris that could scratch the paint. After 2 or 3 panels I clean the sponge just in case.
That's a good method! This is where I think the key is the microfiber since it's kinda magic in its ability to suck dirt up into it, but then release it in solution.

Ultimately the contact wash *has* to abrate dirt & particles off the paint, i.e., the dirt has become bonded to the paint and now we're expecting the wash media to pull it off (whereas a clay bar / mitt can pull and/or shear it off when it's stuck deeply).

A lot of the reason this happens is due to heating & cooling cycles; i.e. the vehicle gets some dirt/dust/pollen/brake dust, etc on it, then the car (the sheet metal) heats up and expands creating micro-cracks in the clearcoat that the dirt falls into; then the car cools and contracts grabbing and trapping the dirt ... and it happens with ceramics & PPF too, but to a lesser degree.

Since I like to maintain my car myself, I don't need PPF or ceramic (and because I don't drive in places with tons of blowing sand / debris) it's a lot easier to buy some great microfiber and use the no-bucket method if I have the temp & drainage:

(1.) Power-spray down the car with de-ionized water
I buy it in bulk at the grocery store & use a Worx portable sprayer ~450PSI. I don't use even 3 gallons for a full rinse & wash.

(2.) Do a Mckee's 37 SiO2 Rinseless wash
That stuff is but it does have protection in it. I've bought a LOT of microfiber recently ... I'm trying all of The Rag Company's stuff (ultra wash mitts & pads, all of their Korean towels - I'm liking the FTW for rinseless! But the Pfuffle might be the best...), and Microfiber Madness's incredipads (I will say, MM's microfiber, whatever it is, definitely feels better, but TRC seems to favor the 70/30 and claims it's the best for paint). For buff drying, TRC's 12x12 gauntlets are killer.

(3.) Wheels & Tires
These are more of a challenge with no water, but otherwise I do them first with usually a rinse first, then P&S brake buster dwell & tire scrub + a boar's hair detail brush for the wheel faces & MM's flat incredibrush for the barrels, then a rinse, then a rinseless wash, then dressing.

Last edited by GrussGott; 12-08-2021 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0