Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoul View Post
Also, couple (probably stupid) questions:
1. Do you use FW on the windows, wheels?
2. If so, Invisible Glass would just be on the interior glass, eh?
3. Is it worth buying applicator pads for the tires? Or can I just spray it on?
Ha, none of that is stupid! As you dig in, you'll certainly figure out different things that work better your process ... there's no right process, just a lot of wrong ones

A few thoughts:

* Can't comment on tire kicker as I haven't used it
I use Car Pro Perl which is very easy to apply with just about anything (sponge, MF, brush, etc)

* On Rag Co stuff / MFs
Boy, it's a such a personal choice but FWIW, if I had to do it all over again I'd probably standardize on TRC Gauntlets for everything In their different sizes they're great for everything: rinseless washes, drying, wheels & tires, etc. Overall I find the best thing is to just have a ton of whichever rag you choose and then seperate them for individual jobs (i.e., wheels rags are only ever used for wheels, washed separately, etc)

* To Foam or not Foam
IMO, foam is only for 2 things: (1.) Fun, (2.) Pre-soak before a contact wash. #2 is key if your vehicle was recently in the rain or went through puddles and in that case the foam can't be pH neutral; rather it has to be a road film remover (i.e., a degreaser) like Kock-Chemie GSF or Superior Products Road Warrior (or rage/dark fury). You can also use something like Purple Power or even an all-purpose cleaner. For me, if the car was rained on, this is the single biggest step. Foam on or spray on the road film remover and let it dwell for 5 min or more before rinsing off.

* Blown Away
Get a blower, even a cheap one is fine, but ideally an Ego 500+ battery powered blower. That way you can easily use it at the U-wash to blow off your car before towel drying & protecting. Primarily this is great for blowing out the gas door, mirrors, wheels, door jambs, etc, but also in getting off most of the water prior to towel drying.

On to the questions:

(1.) YES! Everything but tires.
(2.) I think of invisible glass as a finisher & 50/50 IPA as the cleaner. So for both interior & exterior I'll clean with IPA & a MF with bite, until it's clear, then finish with invisible glass. (for exterior I wash with whatever shampoo first of course)
(3.) I can't say for other than Perl which I apply with whatever is handy.

happy to give my 2 cents on any of it!

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-14-2022 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
seoul32.00