Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schandok View Post
Hello GrussGott,

I am new to RW, but like the idea of ease and avoid paint scratches. Thanks for detailed steps.

I will be doing my 1st wash soon. Planning to use Mckee's RW & Turtle Wax Flex Wax base coat. Before applying TWFW, should I do Iron remover? (Its new car with less 400 miles).

Also, from your experience - for a X5 , how many mitts would a RW wash need? I got 5
(1.) Iron remover can never hurt (unless you let it dry!) so if you have plenty of time, space, and water then go for it BEFORE you wash - just make sure to rinse really well

(2.) Unfortunately way more mitts than 5 to do it right IMO *if* you're going to use the only-clean-mitts method versus the two-bucket method.

said differently, the process should ideally be using 1 (or 2 - one for top & one for bottom!) mitt sides per panel ... so you count up panels

* 8, four on each side (rear, 2 doors, front)
* 2 for the hood
* 1 for the front bumper
* 1 for hatch
* 1 for the rear bumper
* 1 for the roof if you're doing that
= 14 ... so 7 mitts and if you REALLY want to do it right, double that, so 14 (each panel gets one mitts, one side for the top, one for the bottom).

This is why it's way easier to use good quality MFs like TRC's Pfuffles or everest or gauntlet that you can fold in 4ths or 8ths.

If you use MFs then you only need 3-4 or double that to 8, plus 8 to dry so 16-20 total.

You'll find out your best process though as you get into it - just remember: after spray down, use almost no pressure on the MF and in 1 direction only! so

* spray down a panel
* do your iron remover or road film remover & rinse
* pre-spray w/ mckees & dwell for few minutes
* take a MF out of the clean bucket
* do the contact wash (1 direction, lightly!, top to bottom)
------ either do the whole car this way or panel by panel ----------
* Spray a damp MF applicator sponge or MF with TWFW (2 sprays only!)
* Apply the TWFW, assess, wipe down streaks w/ a wet MF
* Buff dry

You'll giggle at the slickness. everytime you touch the car. addicting.

and so much better when you do it yourself and know every nook ... though bad for OCD

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-26-2022 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0