View Single Post
      08-27-2005, 12:37 AM   #9
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

Quote:
If there was a problem with the service intervals causing damage or shorter life BMW would never give us the motorplan, since they have to fix any problems that arrise in that time
Likely quite true within the lifetime of the service plan. The cars are so well built they will easily last 4-5 years / 50-60k miles. No doubt BMW would love to sell you another new car just about that time.

The more interesting question to me is what is the impact of a high mileage oil change interval on the car's life expectancy beyond the lifetime of BMW's service plan?

I have heard no one willing to claim that a 15,000 mile oil change interval has the same impact on life expectancy as a more frequent oil change interval. In fact, just the opposite. I have heard no one state that a more frequent oil change interval is harmful. Ask your SA if an oil change at 5000 or 7500 miles will void your warranty. Or better yet, talk to a service tech about how frequently he would change the oil if it were his car.

Its kinda amazing with all the interest in after market rims and custom order interiors, etc. that anyone planning to keep their car would be reluctant to spend an additional 1% of its price over the course of 3-5 years for a handful of "extra" oil changes.

Here's a couple interesting threads from the BITOG site:

2004 BMW 530i oil change interval

15k mile oil change intervals on BMW's are not enough

get off the phone and drive
Appreciate 0