First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
BMW service intervals DOUBLED with the invention of Free Scheduled Maintenance. This also brought about "Lifetime" transmission and differential fluid.

It has been determined that "Lifetime" means 100k miles.

Any non-dealership german car shop will tell you this is nuts.

The tech writer for Bimmer magazine and Roundel magazine offers a maintenance schedule for those who want to keep their bimmers forever. It follows the original schedule.

It also includes an intial 1500 mile fluid change of just about everything. He just bought one of the last E46 325ci and when he did his 1500 change he stated that there was a ton of metal in the diff and trans fluid.

I suspect that most owners here won't get their trans change for two years and never change the diff fluid.

And that's fine. It just sucks for the guys who might want to buy a 5 year old e90.

I can post the schedule if anyone wants, it is rather lengthy.

That being said, I currently change the oil in my e46 328i every 7,500 miles and I will prob do the same for my E90.

I am a STRONG believer in changing the fluids in a new car early. When a car "breaks in" it creates a ton of metal particles that float around in the oil. These will cause pre-mature wear of the good parts, if allowed to float around in the oil.

These parts are usually so fine, that they pass through the filter, but can still cause added wear of the engine and transmission.

Changing the oil and filter gets this crap out of the system.

I will be doing my first oil change between 500 and 1000 miles, and a complete fluid change at about 1500- 2000
Appreciate 0