VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Yeah but if the area of the pistons is more or less that could effect the feel of the brakes if the stroke of the master cylinder can't handle it. So if you look at it this way... The simplified brake system is taking force (pushing on the pedal)and converting it is pressure (brakes). Pressure is force divided by area (pistons). If you want to keep the same pressure on the brake pads and you increase area of the pistons then that means you have to increase the amount of force on the pads. If you don't do that than your bigger brakes will have less grab than your smaller ones.
I see what you are asking.

Yes, theoretically you are correct. Larger calipers with larger piston diameters will require more pressure to accomplish the same thing.

However.... one could argue that because the PADS are larger, they will apply more stopping power with less force, counteracting the above principle.

The honest answer..... is that I don't know yet. Going from a 4-piston caliper to a 6-piston caliper isn't a "huge" amount of "increased fluid volume".

When I upgraded from single-piston calipers on my 2014 328i (base).... to a full M-performance BBK front and rear..... I didn't notice a thing.

Of course, that car wasn't brake-by-wire like ours are.

I may not even notice a difference. Maybe I will??

If I do.... I'll take it somewhere and have it coded for X5M brakes. Shouldn't be that tough. WORST case scenario..... I'll do a full brake fluid swap/bleed with Super blue..... that'll stiffen up the brakes on anything.

Only time will tell
I bet the overall area is roughly the same going from 4 to 6.
Appreciate 0