View Single Post
      03-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

From F85 to F95 - my experience

About two months ago I got a new F95 Comp. and sold my 2015 F85 to a friend with some 70,000 miles and still 6 months of extended warranty.

The F85 came after a 2011 E70 (50i). Both prior cars towed all over Europe a 3,000 lbs 35 ft long trailer, never broke down or had even minor repairs - the most reliable, low maintenance cars I ever owned, on par with my former, indestructible Corvette C5.

Here some choices and thoughts on the F95, just out of the 1200 mi service:

- color: after two DG cars I chose Manhattan Green with Taruma Brown interior.
When I first saw the car I felt unenthusiastic, but it slowly improved and today I really like it a lot - the color looks misteriously different depending on light and surroundings, from mid brown to a rare grey-green and the brown interior is restful to the eyes, important for me as I sometimes drive very long continuos stretches;

- equipment: I got about all except massaging seats and rear entertainment, which I had before and never used.

First impressions:

- the ride is a bit firmer but the car is far more stable on long fast turns, maybe due to no rear airbag suspension.
I was worried that the heavy (~180 lbs) trailer attachment on the hitch would cause the car to "sit" without auto-leveling, but it didn't happen and the tow stability is exceptional.

- lights are really good, the auto headlights do a very god job of tunneling around opposite traffic, it is much improved - and the laser headbeams add two brighter thin long range beams to the LEDs, good for fast night driving.

- now for the red ink: the touch iDrive must have been designed by a new "Age of Aquarius" software team. I still cannot enter multicountry addresses with a decent effort - it constantly wants to check the address online and more often than not protests or wants to send me to some obscure corner of Europe. A sort of a truce has been reached, but I'm not happy;

- and the self drive looks really experimental; maybe I'm spoiled by aviation autopilots, but I feel really edgy being self driven ("wobbled" is a better description) on anything that is not a perfectly well marked German or French autobahn - but yes, it works very well on slow "hiccup" traffic and it has a lot of value there;

- the seats can be very confortable, but if you find the magic setting be sure to save it ! I did not, stepped out if the car and when I returned it went back to the previously recorded one and I'm still searching for that elusive magic spot...

- the B&W audio is a real joy to hear and its DSP (digital signal processing) scenarios work really well, not like that half-witted "expanded" on the B&O of the F85 - but I have not found a way to cancel DAB reception while on FM radio, a real PITA due to the different logic of stations display.

All in all I'm happy - maybe I'll write some more here when I get more experience with this new car - but I wholeheartedly recommend it !

Pics follow...
Appreciate 4
gan23202.50
ed41367.50
F95inOC44.00