View Single Post
      11-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #57
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
What do you all think of the upcoming 992 911 GT3 Touring? Will the new Touring be street friendly? Or is a base 992 Turbo more street friendly? The odds of me getting a GT3 allocation may be slim and none since I'm not a previous Porsche customer, so my choice may be made for me.

I have thought about a new 2021 R8 RWD but coming from a M2 Competition, it doesn't seem that much faster. 0-60 is around 3.6 seconds, so not much faster than a M2. Plus I would be worried about buying an Audi, just read a negative review about the infotainment system on a 2020 R8 on Reddit.

Another thing I worry about an R8 is that it is very much a dead end car. Supposedly the R8 will be cancelled soon and any electric replacement won't be as impressive. Plus I'm sure the Porsche dealership experience will be better. In addition, once the four year warranty is over, the replacement cost of the v10 engine will be huge (probably around $40k or so). Again nothing else in Audi's lineup interests me so the R8 is kinda a dead end car once it gets cancelled.
im not sure about the touring. how streetable a car can be is very subjective. i daily drive a 2009 civic and have no complaints about it lol. i'd say the turbo will most likely be more streetable than a touring (more sound deadening, broader power band, more luxurious). but the turbo is also quite a bit more expensive.

i have an f80 with a bm3 tune alongside my gt3. honestly the m3 would probably give the gt3 a run for its money on a roll race. the M2 comp with a tune, downpipes, and e85 would probably pull on a new r8. But thats not the point of these cars. its the experience. You can buy a new 800hp mustang with a twin turbo kit and have it warrantied for under 70k too. straight line performance is not very expensive these days. anyone can have a 10 second car.

infotainment is subjective too. my 458 had an awful infotainment setup. but i didn't care. its not why i bought the car. tech moves quick, and supercar infotainment is usually outdated in a few years.

if you are worried about a 1% chance of a catastrophic engine failure i'm not sure what to tell you. i buy all my cars out of warranty when they've depreciated a bit. my 458 had no warranty all 4 years i owned it. I wouldn't worry about engine disasters with a modern supercar. i dont even plan on doing a crankhub fix on my f80 because i think its overblown on these forums.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1