View Single Post
      09-07-2023, 02:15 PM   #110
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrplace View Post
Point taken, but shouldn't the dealers be installing 8.5 on any car they get that only has 8.0 before selling it ?

Seems odd to be selling 2024 cars that may or may not have the latest software especially without explaining it to prospective buyers.
Had I been told before signing, I would have insisted they install 8.5 or not bought the car, and of course they would have complied. Now I am more or less at their mercy....

And while I do understand about possible bugs in 8.5 , I am already taking the car back for service on the drive because it has reset itself while driving several times.

Why is my dealer saying that they can't install 8.5 , and how do I force them to do it ?

thanks
I can see both sides of the argument so I can argue it is odd and the dealers should be updating them or can argue it is a wise business decision to have the folks wait until the OTA for it to be updated. Since us talking about that decision will have no effect on the current situation it is just a waste of time/keystrokes. Keep in mind though that the overwhelming majority of customers have no clue as to what the current version of iDrive is, many don't even know what iDrive is, so we can't take our (forum members) experience/situation/knowledge and project it on the customer base itself.

As an aside, very rarely are vehicles built/delivered with the latest software. Minor versions are constantly being developed so you are always behind on at least the minor version and often the major version.

Many dealers are saying they can't install 8.5 because BMWNA has told them that they will not be paid for just performing the update. There is nothing you can do to force them to update. If you asked and they said they won't then it is done. Why aggravate yourself trying to get it installed?

Depending on what you are taking your vehicle in for they will likely have to update iDrive as part of the troubleshooting and/or repairing process. At that time they should be installing 8.5 since it will be the latest version for your vehicle.