12-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #1203
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I live in tennessee but I want to engage other dealers for a competitive quote. Let's say I get one, what sales tax/tax rates will I be paying? Will I pay whatever rate is going for the dealer in the state I purchase from or will I always be paying my tennessee sales tax rate?
Yes, you will always pay Tennessee sales tax rate and additional county taxes (TN county you live in) for any vehicle purchase out of state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The way it works in most, if not all, states you pay no sales tax when you purchase it out of state and then pay your applicable home state tax rate when you register it.
This is how I understand it.

Or the dealer can ask where the car will be registered and they can charge you the tax for your particular state at the time of the sale. That's what my dealer did when I lived in DC. I bought my TSX in Maryland, but lived in VA - they simply just charged me the VA taxes.
This +1. Leased from dealer in Maryland and paid VA sales taxes, state registration and fees.

Appreciate 0