View Single Post
      08-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #130
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Quoting myself... It's here, the combination manual/auto tranny! Woohoooo!

https://www.motor1.com/news/605437/k...-transmission/

Sure, it's going to cost at least $3.5 million to get this dual manual/auto tranny. But maybe now that all the manufacturers know it's readily functional, possibly we'll have Porsche, Ferrari or McLaren develop their own version of this tranny. And then this tech could possibly trickle down to BMW, just like so many other advanced technologies have. Or hec, maybe even Chevrolet will try to do this for a Vette.

I just hope the trickle-down occurs soon, while we still have ICE cars.
Hybridized MT has been worked on for years by companies like Getrag.

CO2 efficiencies and DAT (Driver Assistance Technologies) are dictating the requirements for the mass market.

Integration of an e-clutch, 48V electric motor and shift actuation are all being considered and developed.

So yes, MT with a clutch and auto shift options are certainly on the cards, particularly at the lower end of the market, and lower outputs. Whether they will compete with AT for all integrated features we have to wait and see.

Kia are using a hybridized MT in some of their small engine models. Uses a drive by wire e-clutch, manual control when possible, but as I understand, over-ridden for functions like stop-start and in the mild hybrid for 48V motor integration.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3359.00