View Single Post
      01-29-2020, 04:35 AM   #1
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
Question

What do you guys think about current trend in car design, specifically screens and removing buttons.

Touchscreens are big, as more and more car manufacturers (Tesla, Audi, Porsche to name a few) are ditching buttons for a more cleaner, slicker design. Hence screens everywhere. Personally, coming from tech background, I understand very well that iPad, iPhone and everything that followed, changed how we interact with technology forever. And for better. My daughter was comfortable using iPad before she was able to speak. But back to the cars.
Touchscreens are replacing control buttons in cars and I think that is bad for drivers and huge safety problem.
Found this article "What went wrong with the interaction of modern cars?":
https://uxdesign.cc/what-went-wrong-...s-3789a2134158

It analyzes in detail evolution of interior design of VW Golf, but also mentions many other brands including BMW and its iDrive.

One thing is astonishing, and I quote: "on which car it is easier to turn off the A/C? On the new e-tron or on the Golf Mk4? You can do it on the Golf Mk4 with your eyes closed! That brings me to this question: which interaction method is safer?"

I like how BMW is thinking. Yes, we are getting digital clusters, big touchscreens in the middle and maybe some smaller ones for HVAC. But let's keep crucial control buttons for the driver, iDrive knob and add some options like gesture and voice.

At least until we have full self-driving...

What do you think?
Appreciate 3