View Single Post
      01-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #18
MGDisco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Yeah, I thinks it's IOS13 - with the updated CarPlay that came with that, it displays differently from before, as there is the 2 options in the bottom right - the wide layout or the 'button' layout. Note, the sidebar is now on the right rather than on the left? - this might just be for RHD cars such as it is in the UK... as the side bar was a stretch before in my other car that had CarPlay accessible with a touchscreen only (prior to getting the BMW), where the sidebar was always on the left, as per pic grab from the web:

OLD
Name:  carplay3-5a6fb169eb97de0037164610.png
Views: 627
Size:  439.9 KB

NEW
Name:  CarPlay-iOS-13-iPhone-Features-7.png
Views: 637
Size:  66.7 KB

I never drilled into any settings for CarPlay mind you to see if you could change it on pre-IOS13 version. The settings on the iPhone now let you customise the list of apps that you can show on the home screen, but that seems to be all you can do. Suggestions on the web point to the settings of CarPlay in the vehicle system, but I don't see that anywhere on either cars system settings pages? (only option for RHD to LHD is for the headlights - would be weird to have CarPlay change with that, as the driver's seat position isn't changing, only that I'd be using the car in another European country on the other side of the road !

I think CarPlay is optimised for touch - makes sense since that is the interface for Apple on its iPhones & iPads, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to use as system in a car IMO. But is just not good with the iDrive rotary controller the way it seems to work.

I'd rather not touch the screen at all so don't really use CarPlay that often - iDrive is not exactly the poor choice in this regard though, is it?
Appreciate 0