View Single Post
      01-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #31
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Long story short, I have ATT fiber internet (300 Mbps down and 300Mbps Up) that tests those speeds all day long.

Problem is, my internet sucks. It's not that it isn't fast. It's that it constantly drops for 1-2 seconds so it's always hanging on simple Google searches.
I see this thing professionally a lot, and unfortunately there isn't a single cause.
I read further replies and I need some more info to find out where the point of failure could be.

First, if you connect your PC/laptop directly via a wire to your gateway provided by the ISP does this occur?

It wasn't clear if you were connecting with a wired or wireless device, and/or how many intermediate devices there are in this setup.

the ISP will tell you nothing is wrong if they can communicate over their advertised "speeds" to their gateway inside your home. Their responsibility ends there.

So in summary, for this test, there should be no network, just the device provided by the utility to your testing machine via a wire, and the machine should have no programs open only a speedtest app (not in the browser as this adds a layer of complexity) or command prompt.

Seth
Appreciate 1