01-08-2024, 08:33 AM   #36
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
I haven't crawled under the X but the TC fluid is pretty straightforward ....aside from whatever access is needed to fill plug. Short stub hexes or some variant is useful. Once the plug is removed, siphon out, fill back, let it drip to a slow drip, plug it back and reset the TC

Aimster - if you're some mechanically handy, OE fluid will set back about $50 a liter...and either a extractor or siphon pump to drain/fill + a new fill plug.

The only additional is just tools - ramps, etc to get her up + means of removing the fill plug. Usually a -short cut- 14mm, or a 14MM hex bit and then a wrench on the bit as a pass through.

Since I typed this all out.....
Just some paper Napkin Math

Fluid - $60 or whatever the MSRP
I'm pointing out MSRP as Indys may use a direct OEM equivalent but may bill you the OE rate.

Labor - 1 Hr to 1. 5 - At 220 a Hr, round it off to $300
Plug - $10
Shop Consumables - another 10-15%

The math doesn't look to far off from your Dealer Pricing...I'm sure a Indy would be cheaper for a fluid change. There is less than a handful of shops I would frequent but a fluid change like this may be a bit less than a dealer and like Swain pointed out, dealer jobs should also net you a loaner should you need it
After thinking about this some more, aside from the potential loaner that you may get from a dealer, IF someone is starting to notice TC symptoms, then paying a little extra to take it to a dealer may pay off in the event the oil change does little to provide a long term solution in that the dealer will be much more agreeable to help in the event of a replacement because they were the ones who changed the oil and therefore know what oil was put in there. Not saying they would do a free $8K replacement but you might get some sort of discount or with BMW involved, you might get more.
Appreciate 0