View Single Post
      06-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #13
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

If BMW makes some kind of deal with Tesla for Supercharger access (and I don't believe that will come to fruition), it will be a very expensive one. Tesla currently chargers their own customers $2,000 for Supercharger access, what do you think they would charge BMW? Probably $3,000+ per vehicle. BMW would then also need to manufacture an adapter so the car could even connect with the Supercharger stations. It just doesn't make sense to me and I cannot see it ever happening. What I can see happening is BMW making a deal with Tesla to install CCS DCQC stations on Tesla Supercharger locations. The power is already there and the locations are already leased.

The CCS roll-out will likely be slow, just as CHAdeMO stations were, but now in the past year or so they are really picking up. When Nissan launched the LEAF in 2010 there were no CHAdeMO stations, yet many people ordered the option when they got their cars and most are very happy now that they did because there are nearly 600 CHAdeMO stations in the US. There are less then 10 working public CCS stations now but the i3 has only just launched and is the first volume production EV to use the new SAE-endorsed standard. This will take time, but for only $700, the CCS option is a good deal to future proof your i3, even if you can't use it right now. If you are leasing you may pass, but if you are buying in my opinion you really should get it. Selling it down the road will be much easier with the DCQC option.

Last edited by tommolog; 06-16-2014 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0