Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
No idea if that will fit a US car, but I doubt it.
The tow bar fitted to my car also has a female receiver under the rear bumper.

The installation is quite involved, and involves removing the rear bumper and replacing the crash-bar with a version that has the towbar receiver.

I've attached the installation instructions - not that I would attempt to do it myself - I recommend getting the dealer to do it, and code it properly into the ECU so it integrates with all the cars safety systems.

The towbar system itself is made by Westfalia (made in Germany) - and BMW supplies and fits this as their OEM, at least here in Australia.

I'm curious as to why you say this wouldn't fit the U.S cars?

..I mean our cars come off the same production line from Spartanburg SC?
I am glad you stated that you attached the instructions as the stupid Bimmerpost App doesn't even give you a hint that a post has non-image attachments. That should be SOP: if you attach anything other than pictures, state that you've attached something (better SOP is for the Bimmerpost App be fixed in the next decade or two).

Looking at instructions, it actually doesn't look that bad at all as DYI (I was expecting welding, but it's just a bolt-on) — assuming of course that your specific car is set up for it. Sounds like AU models definitely are ready, but it is even odds in my mind whether US markets models are setup the same. I don't know either way, but BMW constantly does weird things with market models, and not just software, including mechanics. The fact that US and non-US have different stock hitches is a factor. Or there might be a sensor or a piece of trim that gets in the way. Or the sensor electronics get confused. No idea, but BMW often makes their own and others' lives complicated, that's the only reason for my caution statement.

It is also interesting that BMW Australia considers these OEM. It is definitely not made by BMW, however, but rather Westfalia Automotive and I also doubt that BMWNA is going to consider that "OEM" in US. Interestingly it is available in US regardless: https://etowbars.com/Towbars/BMW/X5/...-X5-G05-Towbar UPDATE: I take that back, it is NOT available for shipment to either US or Canada! Site says "no shipping options available" if you select either country and it's not on their list of shippable destinations.

Lastly, I don't see how a female receiver is setup on this from photos so far or instructions. Would you please post installed photos of yours in all positions for posterity.