View Single Post
      05-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #103
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Been that way since I can remember...I recall many trips to different European countries, getting picked up by my company's sales people in BMW's, Mercedes, etc and when the conversation turned to cars, I would learn that in Europe, people pay quite a bit more and get less for that money, than in the US.
Going back to the 90's when I first started noticing the difference, I'd see a cloth interior brand new 5 series in Europe, no or very little options and it sold for more than I paid for my nearly fully optioned top leather 5 series here in the US. I would always come back with a renewed appreciation for what I thought was an over priced car
Yes, I know Europe dictates a higher level of safety with brakes, rotors, etc and most of the cars had diesel engines but that didn't make up for the difference and back then, the models I'm referring to where built in Europe for Europe consumption, those had to be shipped to the US. Volume sales does account for something.
So lets say the B&W gear costs the same to make and install no matter where the car is sold....that only leaves it to Marketing to maximize profits in different countries.
That's certainly true and we have to pay +50% income tax and a load of other BS taxes

On the other hand they will sell much less of BW than in the USA. If the BW would cost 3000 I could have said yes give me the BW. But it costs almost 6000 so I think no friggin way give me the HK. And that's also with all other options.

A friend of mine bought real estate in Florida as an investment and to rent out. A house in excellent condition with x sleeping rooms, x bath rooms, swimming pool for a price where you can buy house, tear it down and build it up and still have no swimming pool over here

Also if I watch Fast 'n Loud, Kindig Custom, Fantomworks, ... on National Geographic or Discovery channel and see what they can do and for what price, we can only dream about it.
But not only cars, I think most goods are cheaper in the US.
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00