View Single Post
      05-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Canon 135mm F2.0 L:

I picked one of these up a couple of weeks back. The weather wasn't very agreeable, so i haven't really had much opportunity to test it out untill recently.

I attempted a quick photoshoot the other night, and i made sure to use the 135 as one of my lenses to get some practice with it.

I found that on a crop body, it does bring a subject very close if you're doing portraits, so you end up having to step a long way back just to get the shoulders in the shot. On the other hand, on a full frame camera, it's just about right. I'm still comfortable close to the subject, and i'm getting head and shoulders in the shot.

at such a short range it is very easy to play with the depth of feild provided by the F2 aperture opening. I found myself often shooting at F2.5 or F2.8 just so i could keep the hole face in sharp focus. At F2, if a subject is on an angle, it's very easy to have one eye sharply in focus while the other isn't, so that is best left for when someone is looking fairly straight on towards the camera.

The 135mm F2 L is much smaller then I had originally expected, which makes it an ideal lens for many applications. For example, some sports stadiums are not accepting people with lenses over 4 inches, so at 135mm and F2, this is (as far as my research tells me) longest focal length to be able to have such a wide aperture.

I'm sure many of you have heard this before, but the 135 has a very nice creamy bukeh. The way it transitions from something so sharp to something so creamy is impressive. And the same can be said for the colour and contrast.

overall, my limited exposure to this lens has been a good experience, and i'm looking forward to testing it out much harder in the future.
Appreciate 0