09-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #104
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
I'm interested in this as well, but it seems to be hard to get this figure.

Considering average 75 mph speeds on a long trip without opportunities to recharge, what is the fuel-only range of xDrive45e?
In August, I drove from NH to MI and back again...over 2000-miles RT. I left with a full charge, but really didn't recharge much during the trip...a little at my destination, but using the level 1 device, it never really got topped off. I had set the battery hold to 30% to ensure I could keep my passengers comfortable should I need to stop and they didn't need to or want to get out.

The vehicle will almost ALWAYS have some charge left to boost during acceleration, and especially when first starting up. It may not be able to sustain EV mode for long, but it's not like it actually ever drains the batteries completely...even when the estimated range is reading zero, you still get a little boost on the highway when accelerating. Unless you're in a VERY flat part of the country, and there's no traffic, you will be accelerating and slowing down some, so the vehicle will be able to push some energy back into the batteries.

I averaged about 28-29 mpg during this trip, and from a full battery and tank while driving mid-70 mph on average (mostly interstate - mostly with a 65mph speed limit). I expect I could have gone over 500-miles before I had to stop and refuel. I needed to stop more often, and on the longer leg (stopped overnight in NY at my sister's) from Rochester to Grand Rapids, I stopped to fill it up once.

In the USA, most of the paid EVSEs out there charge more by the time you're connected versus the power you pull, so, given their typical cost/minute, at least in most of the USA, it's cheaper to just refuel. Charging at home, or for free, well, that's another issue, but unless you're staying there awhile, you won't get that much of a charge if say you're just stopping for a meal. That brings up some's objection to the size of the onboard charging unit, but space, weight, and cost, personally, I think it's a reasonable compromise. If you can recharge at say work, and at home, you may never need to buy gasoline except while on a trip...just don't expect to recharge like a Tesla or something with a CCS input.

Prior to this trip, most of my driving had been local, and primarily using the batteries...the computer said my mpg was about 90. After the trip, it dropped to about 40, but I expect over the next few months since I plug it in when I get home, it will creep back up there. The computer regularly says my ICE mileage range is in the 430 miles, and EV mode mid-30's. I've seen the total range exceed 550-miles, depending on what and where I've driven, and it may drop to the low 400 range in the winter.

Hope this helps. The vehicle is in for its first service...just passed one year. Should pick it up later today. Mostly, it's just the oil and filter change, with various system checks.
Appreciate 2
Jeff661280.50
FastMarkA563.50