02-10-2020, 04:33 AM   #18
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
IFR - not sure how technical minded you are.
The OTA file transfer protocol must be reliable and error check the received file with security certificates before activating and migrating to the new image.
Without these mechanisms no manufacturer would contemplate OTA image upgrades
You can check my technical mind-ness by reviewing my previous posts

The point I have made repeatedly is that you advised the OP to check with BMW as they had an out-dated update. I corrected your advice to save the OP wasting time as THE ONLY AVAILABLE OTA UPDATE IS 07/2019.75.

If you have received that OTA update then you are golden. You want a later i-step then you need to schedule a dealer visit, or use ISTA/esys to program the car yourself.

The OTA delivery method is not what I am talking about. You mention it, and It's an interesting topic, but not relevant to the point I am making.

I reiterate, and for the last time, BMW deliver the n-1 OTA because it's had 3 months of live in the field testing. It's that last bug fix iteration of the previous main branch release and is as reliable as that version can be. The latest versions are released to dealers in a controlled and managed environment and issues can be resolved either locally by the technician or remotely and collaboratively with BMW dev.

There are dozens of combinations of i-step, region and models that each i-step update has to address, plus different hardware based on options. That is where the majority of the risk comes from, not the OTA delivery method, which is pretty solid and consistent. It is still a risk but minor, for the reasons you outlined, compared to the risk of an untested update breaking the car due to an unknown configuration issue.

If you review the I-step programming release notes over the past 12 months it will become apparent where BMW have issues with i-step updates, and its not because a CRC or cert check is failing during an OTA update.
Appreciate 3
LexxM31698.50
perikifi165.50
TSMC55126.50