View Single Post
      03-30-2023, 09:19 AM   #16
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestfordChris View Post
Thank you for all this detailed information and research.

I am in a similar situation where I have been looking for used X5s with the tow package for 6-9 months and I finally gave up and bought a 2022 X5 m50i without a hitch and without the 8SL package for good measure.

Has anyone looked at the 8SL harness itself? I wonder if you can order that from BMW?
Is there an easier approach than running a wire all the way to the 3rd brake light?
Where does the factory pick up the kCAN2 bus?

I am towing a 6000 pound boat occasionally and a bike rack. It is cool everything works, but I wonder if the integration is really worth it?

Chris
Chris, the wiring done in this guide and my own were done essentially with the path of least resistance and still maintaining factory functions. The CAN wiring would normally go directly to the BDC which is located behind the glove box under the dash. The same goes for the brake controller connection. That would normally run up under the dash on the driver side. This would require taking out most of the trim panels, seats and carpet to run. There is no "retrofit" 8SL harness to add-on. The factory never designed an add-on. There are only repair harnesses in case of damage and these involve complete sections of an entire wiring harness which normally need to be spliced in. Only you can determine if the level of effort is worth it to you. However, if you're going to be pulling a 6000 pound boat on the highway, I'm sure the other drivers would appreciate you integrating it as close to factory as possible for safety of everyone.
Appreciate 1