View Single Post
      03-25-2024, 07:36 PM   #95
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I don't know where you guys come up with this stuff. The EPA headcount over the last 10 years has been generally stagnant, and/or shrinking depending on the year. Trump gutted it by essentially handcuffing them, that too caused many to voluntarily leave. Most EPA employees are not tree huggers and are down to earth and realists. I deal with them daily and I have good friends that work there, many of which are car enthusiasts, SCCA racers, etc.

EPA isn't out take away your car mods. They have been clued into a big industry where tuners, aftermarket companies, and shops are modifying road cars to run without emissions controls and pass emissions by turning off sensors and such. They are trying to send a message to the industry as a whole. I would be very nervous if I was a tuner though, especially the guys at BM3 and MHD. They think they're protected by being overseas, but I'm certain EPA will be going after them and any others that offer defeat software.
MHD would get fucked as they are based in Europe, and EU is currently cracking down hard on emissions (even going to the point of checking people's car for map switching)

BM3 is safe as they are in Toronto, Canada, and there is currently no law against emissions as long as they keep the "off-road use only" warning. Plus we pay a carbon tax here, so why not use what you pay for.

In NS, we have a safety inspection every 2 years, there's no emission testing but they do check if you have a catalytic converter.
I have a shop that passes my car regardless of catless as they can just claim "he put it on after the check"

They used to have emissions testing in Ontario, but they got rid of that as the premier said "this is a money grab"