09-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #19
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
I take Magnesium Citrate and find I can manage 4000mg daily without issues. Any more than that and I'm too loose in the rear.

I've used it since having a couple of bouts of Ventricular Fibrillation - and subsequent cardiac arrests. Right place, right time so I survived and have a defibrillator.

Anyway just before I arrested I had a rhythm known as Torsade de Pointes which is temporarily rectified by Magnesium infusion - and it certainly did make a big difference to the frequency of abnormal beats in CCU.

Further my arrests occurred after many hours of strenuous cycling over several days, (plus I was taking Esomeprazole which reduces Mg absorption) there appear to be no underlying conditions nor genetic issues so while the cardiologists won't confirm or deny a depletion of tissue Mg to be the precipitant, makes sense to me to use the supplement.
Proton pump inhibitors (such as Esomeprazole/nexium) can cause the kidneys to leak magnesium. Either way if you had Torsades then you have a legitimate reason to use it medically. It will continue to save your life when you maintain magnesium levels at the higher end of normal. Glad you survived this.

M